Monday 11 July 2016

Day 35 - 37

Day 35.

Leaving the Westport hotel, I felt it had been more like a guesthouse than a hotel, and they had made me feel, more like a welcome guest than a client. The staff always had time for a 5 minute chat, and any request was met with a smile, they went absolutely out of there way to make sure my stay was comfortable and pleasurable.

What a contrast day 35 ride was to day 34, the days rest had made all the difference, I had planned it to be a short ride to Mendocino 40 km's away. The ride was very hilly but my energy levels were great and it was easy to get into a routine, even the very steep sections were fine, just a matter of getting down into lowest gear regulating my effort and then chugging my way up and over the hill. I took regular breaks and marvelled over the brilliant views, while taking pics. I really enjoyed the ride my legs were still a bit sore, but even that didn't damper my spirits. In contrast to day 34, when I was absolutely exhaustion, driven only by the need to find somewhere half decent to stop and recuperate.

Mendocino was a lovely little town and I was staying at the Mendocino Hotel, which was old, lots of antique furniture it had shared bathrooms but that just added to its old style feel. It had a lovely old pub which was bussing with activity even though it was only 3 in the afternoon. I had stopped for a taco at Fort Brag 16 km's before Mendocino, so I didn't need lunch but after showering I went to the pub ordered a coke and a glass of wine and updated my blog.


They had a musical festival in Mendocino and the town was very busy, I met a few interesting people and had a few to many glasses of wine.

The next morning I went down to breakfast at 8. I was hoping to get on the road by 8.45. As soon as I got to breakfast I was met with the sight of rain, I took my time with breakfast hoping it would clear, in 45 minutes it had not let up in the least. The idea of doing a tough 80 km's ride in the rain was grim, I decided to see if I could stay another day. I went to reception, but they were fully booked, I went back to my room and gathered my bags to checkout. When I got back down they told me they had just had a cancellation. I jumped at the chance and phoned to change my accommodation at Gualala for that night. The chances of being able to make it all the way to Laguna were rapidly slipping away, and I knew that would need to make a decision as to whether to stop at San Francisco. The whole day I didn't feel great, I was hoping it was not the start of flu.

Day 36

I had changed my accommodation at Gualala from Saturday to Monday night which  meant 2 easy days averaging 40 km's. I took a slow ride, I had 2 options, I could stop at Elk or point Arena. I got to Elk a tiny town and found a stunning Inn so booked in, leaving 53 km's to cycle the next day. Alot of America is so stereotypical but I definitely feel this area breaks the mould.



Day 37

I was not feeling great and my energy levels were low. This should have been an easy ride but ended up being relatively tough, but very beautiful.



This part of the coast is seriously rugged and tough riding with very little flat and lots of very steep inclines.

If I wanted to be in Laguna by the 22nd of July, I had 11 days left, probably 10 riding days, definitely not enough to get all the way to Laguna which was just over a 1000 km's away. I had a couple of options either ride as far as I could and make a plan to get the last few hundred km's, or stop at San Francisco and take a very welcome holiday (excuse the pun) for a few days before flying to Orange County. The only decision I had made was try increase distances again and make a decision when I got to San Francisco.

That said I had planned to try and make Bodega Bay the next day about 78 km's.

No comments:

Post a Comment