Thursday 16 June 2016

Day 15 - 16

Day 15

At 8.30, it was 10 degrees Celsius and raining, I was tempted to book in for another night, the rain finally stopped around 11 and I set off. I don't like getting rained on while I am riding but starting when it is raining somehow seems even worse. The first 10km's were mainly up hill and after about 3 km's it started raining, it cleared the sun was out for a couple of km's then it rained again, that was how the rest of the morning went. I stopped for lunch at about 1 having done about 30km's very wet and cold. Starting after lunch I was miserable and cold the last 18 km's I did as quickly as I could. My bags were looking the worse for the wear with all the rain. I arrived at Montesano Guest house at 3 checked in after soaking in a hot bath for 30 minutes I felt way better. I was definitely feeling that my fitness was getting better, and I thought I had lost some weight, have to wait for a scale to find out. 15 days of cycling and my legs were still sore, not any where like day 4 but still relatively sore. I had been putting on Voltaren and intermittently having Anti-inflammatory's, I had decided the previous night I need to stop the Anti-inflammatory's, will see if they get worse without the Anti-inflammatory's.

Big time on my mind was did I start pushing to do the full distance or just relax and do as much distance as I wanted to each day, according to the "Bicycling the pacific coast" book I had finished day 9, and had taken 15 days, plus 2 rest days. I had 29 days left according to the book and in reality 42 days left till my flight, but I wanted a few days to relax at the end, I had said to my brother, I was planning to get to him at Laguna Beach on the 22nd of July, leaving me just 37 days.

Day 16


It was raining when I got up, damn another day of riding in the wet and cold. I waited for the rain to subside and got going. After 20 minutest it started raining heavily again. I tried hiding under a tree but within a couple of minutes I was getting soaked anyway. I found a little restaurant after 15 km's and stopped for a coffee and house soup. After that it pretty much cleared up but I was wet and cold. I had planned to cycle to South bend about 50 km's, from 30 km's I was feeling drained. This was my 7th day cycling without a rest day. At 40 km's I came to a small town Raymond. I stopped at the Pitchwood Inn for a coke. Stunning little pub, after a couple of cokes I had a beer, that settled it I would stop over. I booked in for 2 nights I needed a rest day.


Wednesday night was jamming night and for a small town it was quite full and festive, the people were very friendly. The Inn also had rooms I could fall out of the pub into my room.

The rest day I got up really late and did nothing, it was raining again and I was glad that I wasn't cycling. Planning the next days ride there seemed to be no where to stop before Astoria 82 km's away so it was looking to be a long day out of Washington state and into Oregon.


Day 1 to Day 16 Map

No comments:

Post a Comment