Sunday 5 June 2016

Day 5-6

Rest day.

I woke up early felt terrible coughing and had zero energy, I  thought I  was coming down with flue. I think it was my bodies way of pleading with me not to ride.

I thought  back to the previous day, wow I had been in a bad way, there was a hill about a hundred metres assent I had to stop about 15 times on the way up to catch my breath.

By 10, I had done my washing the sun was out and I started feeling way better, my bodies reward for listening to it.

I started thinking about all the gear that I had brought with me, when am i going to start throwing things away, tatty old be of Jeans gone, new pair of takkies bought for this trip yes it's a pity, but they didn't have laces as they had been used to tie my solar panels to my panniers. Mandy's camera now broken gone (Sorry Mandy) As Mandy said when she heard I broke her camera "I see a new camera in my future". Damn but I'm to stubborn to start throwing things away.
Extra small pump

They only make front panniers for fools like me, yesterday at the real ebb of my energy levels I cycled past a bicycle shop, great I could replace the pump I didn't bring. I went in and bought the smallest pump I have ever seen, I can just imagine the conversation of the staff, someone finally bought that miniscule pump. As I left she said if you've got a flat I can loan you a big pump, she was likely worried I would get to my bike start pumping my tires half an hour later I would return saying can I replace this with a slightly bigger pump. I giggled when I imagined the dumbfounded look on their faces when they saw the size of my bike.

Day 5
My legs were feeling better but still sore, my energy levels were much better after a days rest. I left at just before 7 so that i could make the 8 o'clock ferry from Powell river to Littleriver/Comox and hour ferry, finally i have turned South towards San Diego. I read the reason the popular way to ride the PCH is from North to South and the reason is that the wind normally blows that way. The minute i turn South way I have a pumping headwind. I was planning to ride to Qualicum Beach, which i estimated was about 75 km's. At 32 km's checked the distance and it was still another 52 km's. I was not ready to ride 85 km's.  The idea of 52 km's and my energy disappeared. I saw a B&B at 36 km's which seemed a very appealing idea at 44 km's I was starting to battle i saw a place Fanny Bay Inn stunning pub and restaurant but no accommodation. Haha i saw someone with exactly the same panniers as me plus a tent tied on, I am not the only fool.

I was forced to plug on. I finally stopped at deep bay after 57 km's exhausted but 18 km's up from my previous high, no B&B so started my first night camping. I was right on the water at a little Marina stunning views and a brilliant sunset over the water, I was a bit worried about the cold. I found out that night there are 2 reasons not to camp yet, 1 it's to cold, 2 I am to stiff to get in and out of a small tent.

Funny bay inn top left, my campsite top right, bottom left view over the marina at sunset and bottom right view out of my tent window as I went to sleep(Sun sets around 10)



Capicum beach
Note the snow on the mountain peaks
Day 6
Started out not so well feeling well,  stiff sore and low on energy, as they day went on I actually felt better, but had a flat tyre replaced the tube, I must add it took half an hour pumping with my tiny pump. Started riding again and the bike was feeling really weird, I had put the tyre on the wrong way with tread pointing the wrong direction.








Fixing my puncture
Then I stopped for a smoothie and couldn't get my one cleat off. Luckily it was the right one and my left foot was already on the ground. I literally had to take my shoe off to get it off the peddle. I had lost a screw in my cleat. As luck had it there was a bicycle shop 500 metres away went there they fixed my shoe and swapped the tyre the right way, without charge, not sure if they were feeling sorry for me. Took all this as a sign I was meant to stop, I finished the day with only doing 40 km's, but was feeling great my legs weren't very sore.























1 comment: