Sunday 26 June 2016

Day 23 - 25


I woke up opened the curtains, to doom, gloom and lots of rain, all the reasons to take a rest day. All my appetite for riding in the rain, if there ever was any, was gone.

Day 23

I got up, got dressed, packed and checked out, went across the road to Starbucks for a coffee and breakfast. For some reason my back was sore, and my glutes very stiff, I had not had any problem with my back or glutes the whole trip and I didn't need problems for the rest of the trip either. After cycling for 10 km's they felt fine hopefully they stayed that way.

The ride was from Lincoln City to Newport all I had to say was wow, what a stunning ride I think the photos will do the talking, a short 43 km's but incredibly scenic.





I have had my cycling shoes/slops since Sani2C, and I have been battling through all the cold weather with them, but looking forward to the warm weather where they will be an asset. They have developed a rather distinct squeak, after hours of cycling I wake up at night hearing their moaning. I have decided I they are saying "hurty-go", no doubt pleading my case to my legs. So now you know what I think about those endless hours cycling, and you thought I would be thinking about work, life and solving the worlds problems, in reality all I am trying to do is breath and fathom out what my shoes are saying. After all that intro it was a sad day as my shoes died on me, the straps pulled out of the sole, and to think I had been battling through the cold with open shoes only for them to die as it got warmer. I would have to replace them with closed shoes, the chance of finding cycling slops in Oregon coast were pretty much zero. All said the story may have a happy ending, I decided to buy some super glue and try my luck, I would have to wait and see the results.

Back to day 23, I stopped for a late lunch with about 9 miles to go. I got a shrimp salad and a few Pepsi's. After leaving the restaurant with about 5 miles to go I needed the toilet. Which either meant hoping to find public toilet or stopping at a cafĂ© buying a Pepsi just so that I can use the toilet, which would likely result in another stop later. I decided instead to just push on. Just before I got to my motel "Days Inn Newport" I saw a Irish pub and thought after showering I would walk back for a pint of Guinness. I got to the motel and checked in. After showering I put on my Irish Bushmills shirt ready to go to the pub, but it never happened not sure if the shrimp were off, but my stomach was killing me, I had to make do with an early night.

Day 24

Being a Saturday night I had to book my accommodation ahead of time, so I booked at Yachats , it was a very easy 40km ride, not hugely scenic and I was there by 1. From next week I was going to try and up the distances slightly, not that I have to spend the whole day riding but getting to the hotel by 1 was way to early. I could also start riding a bit earlier, my excuse up till then had been that it was to cold to start riding before 10. The good news my shoes had lasted the day, I was ever hopeful.

Can't believe I have been cycling for 4 weeks already, really missing the family.




Day 25


I had heard this was a very scenic trip from Yachats to Florence just over 40 km's. I got up in the morning and it was misty and cold which. ruined a lot of the views, but still a really nice ride, quite a lot of assent, the shoulder was not the best on this portion of the trip. I was worried about being visible in the mist so I put my light on my saddle pointing backwards.



I got to Florence just before 3, I was staying at a stunning place the "River House Inn", I had a balcony overlooking the river. I was on my last day of clothes and needed desperately to do washing. I got the washing going and walked down the road for a coffee. The cycle in to Florence was far from spectacular but on the river is really nice and bubbling with live.


Florence

No comments:

Post a Comment