Friday 10 June 2016

day 9 - 11

Day 9

Day 9, was a short cycle from Crofton to Sidney via Salt Spring Island, and was my last day in Canada. The next day I would be catching a ferry from Sidney British Columbia to Anacortes Washington State. Had breakfast at a tiny cafĂ©, a breakfast rolls, kind of like McDonald's egg Mc Muffin's but much nicer, soft eggs proper cheese. The ride whilst short had a few really steep hills to climb. I took my time and got to the ferry the other side of Salt Spring Island by lunch time, a quick ferry from Fullford Harbour to Swartz Bay and then a 6 km's cycle to Sidney. Soon after arriving at the Travelodge I got my washing going, and then went to the pub for a few drinks and dinner, I wasn't cycling the next day so could afford to have a few drinks.


I caught the ferry the next day at 12 and arrived at Anacortes at just after 3. I booked into a motel a few hundred metres from the ferry.

Local wildlife outside my Motel at Anacortes


Deception Pass
Day 10

The next morning ride I was planning to ride to through Whitney Island to Fort Casey and catch a ferry to Port Townsend. The ride took me through Deception Pass and to Oak Harbour, a few miles before Oak Harbour my bike started wobbling. I had about 7 broken spokes. I tried to catch a bus or Taxi to Oak Harbour, hoping to get the spokes replaced. No luck I finally had to walk the 5 odd km's to the closest bicycle shop. A couple of hours later I left with a new wheel. Inquiring why the spokes were broken, she said my wheel was not strong enough to handle the extra weight, you get specific touring wheels that are designed to take extra weight. The new wheel wasn't a touring wheel either so hopefully it lasts.

I need to lose weight, even my wheels are telling me.



Day 11

I finished the rest of yesterday cycle just short of 20 miles, I had now had 3 really short days plus a rest day I'm between, way behind on mileage but my legs were feeling much better. Being a Friday night I battled to find accommodation in Fort Townsend, and the next night there were very few choices. I either had to do 35 km's to Quilcene or 75 km's to just past Brannon. The pressure was on I had booked Mikes beach Resort 75 km's plus one big arse climb in between Mt Walker, reality only about 300 metres but bigger than any other climb to far. I planned to reward myself with a braai on the other side, and bought a steak. Potato, Mushroom and corn. The steak I will put in my Camel pack with my water to keep cold.

1 comment:

  1. AAhhhh, what an experience! I am so enjoying following your trip Andy, keep it up. You must be getting seriously vuss (?) legs by now!! :) Hope you enjoyed the braai!

    ReplyDelete