Wednesday 1 June 2016

Day 3-4


 
“Look I’m green solar panels to charge all my devices, no darn fool that I am, I left my American adaptor at the last motel”. 3 days into this cycle on my own and I’m going mad talking to myself, need to get back to work ha-ha only joking.

Day 3 was going to take me from welcome bay to Ruby lake resort. The start was really tough my legs were burning and the bicycle seat was becoming enemy number one. I took a really slow ride with lots of breaks stopped at a deli in Madeira for a light lunch. They call these gentle rolling hills, I am rapidly questioning the gentle, they say the ride is mountainous in Oregon, getting me worried. Ruby Lake  resort was stunning hundreds of hummingbirds, beautiful views over the lake.



 
My accommodation was a tent overlooking the lake. Big sign just outside “Be bear aware no food in tents”. I had been told the bears around here are very timid you can chase them away, not sure if I would  test that theory. I definitely a bit early for the season and the restaurant was scheduled to be closed, there were two other groups who were also cycling, 2 ladies in their late 50’s early 60’s and a couple in their 30’s. The ladies had done more distance than me that day, they left later than me got there earlier than me. Luckily their accommodation included meal so the restaurant had to open.




Day 4 my legs were even worse, breakfast was not included and the restaurant was closed, so I cycled the 6 km’s to earls cove ferry hoping to get breakfast there before catching the ferry to Saltery  bay. I was out of luck, the café was also closed. I had a 2 hour wait for the ferry, by which time I was hungry sore and generally not very happy. On the ferry I decided I was not going to cycle anymore that day, but unlucky Saltery bay had a stunning camp site but no shops and I had a grand total of 2 apples with, so I was forced to cycle another 25 km’s to Powell bay as originally planned. I made very slow sore work of the 25 km’s. I booked into Oceanside resort, I have a place right on the beach, but the rest of the place is a bit below mediocre Tiff would complain. I am taking a rest day tomorrow, that bicycle seat is not coming anywhere close to my tender arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment